Friday, April 5, 2013

Blog Number 9

Parenting has been my favorite topic of the semester. I simply cannot wait to be a mom! All  the time when I was little people would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up and I always said that I wanted to be a mom!! So. Excited. :)

I think that we should all model our parenting style off of the best parent in the universe - my mom. Haha ok ok, I'm just kidding. While my mom really is super awesome, I was more talking about our Heavenly Father. He is so good to us!!

These are some things that I want to apply to my parenting style that I get from Heavenly Father's example:
       Let my kids know the rules - here are the consequences of that action
       Let my kids make their own decisions
       Let my kids make mistakes
       Make a home for my kids to come back to when they do wander
       Provide opportunities for them
       Let them know I love their dad
       Have high yet attainable expectations for them
       Love the Heck out of them - literally


I'm so glad that when we did the parenting style test I got autocratic style! I know that it will be so so very hard sometimes to see my kids struggle and not just step in and fix it for them. I have a testimony that it will be more meaningful, it will take longer, but it will be more powerful for your kids to learn for themselves and come back on their own. I really don't want to be a nagger, I will try very hard to not nag my children - or my husband. I have seen it work - instead of nagging, I simply let them know that I love them and provide a good example and good friendship and let them know that I am sincere and will love them with or without their faults. When I have done this, the people correct themselves on their own. They just will. God will always provide opportunities for them to come back "home". So you just have to make sure they have a "home" that they want to come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment